What is the Georgia HEART rural hospital organization (RHO) tax credit program?
The Georgia General Assembly enacted legislation that enables Georgia taxpayers to receive a state income tax CREDIT for 100% of the amount they contribute to qualified rural hospitals.
How much can I contribute for a tax credit?
If you pay Georgia income taxes, you are eligible to receive a 100% state income tax credit for contributing to Monroe County Hospital.
In the first half of the year, there are limits to the amount individual taxpayers can contribute, as follows:
- Individual Filer up to $5,000
- Married Filing Jointly up to $10,000
- Pass-Through Owner up to $10,000
From July 1 through the end of the year, these limits are lifted.
At any time during the year, a “C” Corporation or Trust shall be allowed a 100% Georgia income tax credit for contributions to RHOs, for amounts up to 75% of the corporation’s or trust’s annual state income tax liability.
In addition to a 100% state income tax credit, “C” Corporations, Trusts, and some pass-through businesses qualify for an additional federal business expense deduction.
How do I sign up to contribute?
It’s easy! Follow these simple steps, as outlined below:
- Complete and submit your 2020 HEART Tax Credit application at www.georgiaheart.org
- HEART submits your application to the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR).
- HEART and DOR notify you of approved tax credit amount and payment deadline.
- Send a check made payable to Monroe County Hospital to HEART for deposit to the hospital’s account or pay by credit card at https://www.georgiaheart.org/donate/contribute within 180 days of approval, or 12/31/20, whichever comes first.
HEART sends you Form IT-QRHOE-RHO1 (tax receipt) for claiming the credit on your 2020 Georgia income tax return.