|Medical Technologist (Full-Time Nights)
|Monroe County Hospital - Georgia
The medical technologist positon is responsible for conducting laboratory tests which provide information to physicians for the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of diseases in patients.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Performs clinical laboratory tests such as: hematology, immunohematology, chemistry, bacteriology, serology, parasitology, endocrinology, general immunology, and urinalysis.
- Reviews relevant laboratory reports for extraordinary results and clinical errors before they are reported to patient’s medical record, including reports on procedures processed in reference laboratories.
- Operates and maintains laboratory instrumentation.
- Logs performance of equipment, including daily temperature checks.
- Assesses any equipment malfunction and uses appropriate action/protocols to correct.
- Orders, evaluates, records, and prints test results using lab computer. Executes procedures for ordering, processing, and reporting reference lab specimens.
- Records patient encounters in lab chart when appropriate. Records lab results on hospital patient information system as appropriate.
- Ensures charges that are generated are accurate and timely.
- Performs quality controls and documents quality control for each lab procedures on a daily basis. Follows defined protocol for investigating out-of-control runs and implements necessary remedial action.
- Prepares reagents for use in lab procedures.
- Reads functional section policy and procedures manuals at least annually.
- Participate in research and development of new procedures and changes to extant procedures, as appropriate and/or necessary.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelors’ degree in Medical Technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical, or biological science.
- Associate degree in chemical, physical, or biological science, or medical laboratory technology.
- High school graduate or equivalent and laboratory training/experience consisting of the following:
- Successfully completed military training of 50 or more weeks and served as a medical laboratory specialist; or
- Appropriate training/experience as specified in 42CFR493.1423
- Successful completion of an examination approved by the Georgia State Department of Human Resources (GDHR).
- Successful completion of required Medical Technologist certificate.
- Demonstrated ability to perform medical laboratory procedures in accordance with the policies and protocols in effect (assessed within 90 days of hire).
- Familiarity with the technology related to practice in the assigned functional sections.