|Patient Access Representative (PRN 11p-7a with Rotating Weekends)
|Monroe County Hospital - Georgia
The Patient Access Representative I is responsible for performing all admitting procedures for patients presenting to the Emergency Room.
- Interviews incoming patient or representative and enters information required for admission into health information system.
- Obtains required signatures from patient and/or representative for consent of care and any other required documents per hospital policy and protocols. Documents how consent was obtained or not obtained from responsible parties.
- Enters, records, stores, and maintains information in written and electronic form.
- Interviews patient or representative to obtain and record individual and/or company insurance responsible for payment of bill.
- Explains hospital regulations, such as visiting hours and payment of accounts.
- Provide a smooth flow of patients through the admitting area/ER, directing or escorting patients as necessary to the appropriate department.
- Understand the functional status and physical needs of patients, staff, and visitors to the hospital and assists in those needs.
- Maintain a working knowledge of community services and resources available to all patients. Refer patients as necessary to the appropriate agency or department.
- Records all emergency room patients seen on the electronic ER log related to each account.
- Accepts payments and issues receipts, collects co-payments and deductibles, and reconciles petty cash drawer at the end of each shift.
- Processes telephone communications in an efficient and courteous manner for patients, physician, general public, and hospital staff.
- Pages for medical staff, disaster and emergency codes as required by policy. Pages should be done in a clear, distinct, and audible voice.
- Run a daily registration quality report before the end of each shift to check the accuracy of registrations and make corrections as necessary.
- Controls visitor access to hospital after hours, clears any afterhours visitors with Charge Nurse, and issues visitor pass as appropriate.
- Fosters high levels of customer service and releases only appropriate patient information while ensuring HIPAA compliance is followed. Refers all other medical information releases to HIM for processing.
- Ensures all patient information is safeguarded and kept confidential according to prescribed policies and procedures.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solutions available and solve problems as they arise.
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others; ensure flow of communication within department.
- Interviews, corresponds with, and counsels the patient and/ or patient’s family regarding information relative to insurance, employment, and financial ability to pay.
- Verifies insurance benefits prior to admission for all planned admissions and as soon as reasonably possible after admission for all emergencies.
- Coordinates pre-certification process between hospital and physician offices to ensure that all required procedure and surgery pre-certifications are completed in a timely manner.
- Initiates pre-certification process for Emergency Medicaid patients who require CT/MRI procedures.
- Will cross-train other admissions personnel for cross coverage as necessary.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Must be efficient with keyboarding and computer applications.
- One (1) year of experience in healthcare financial counseling.
- One (1) year of experience in hospital or medical office setting.