|Position||Registered Respiratory Therapist (PRN)|
|Location||Monroe County Hospital - Georgia|
The registered respiratory therapist is responsible for providing safe, effective, and economical respiratory care to patients. This position is a member of the interdisciplinary team for patient care.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Perform respiratory procedures accurately and in a timely manner as prescribed by a physician. These procedures include:
- Oxygen therapy: tank, nasal cannula, high flow nasal cannula, venturi mask, non-rebreather, etc.
- Coughing and deep breathing instruction and exercises and related maneuvers.
- Aerosol Therapy: bland and medicated, metered dose, ambient, ultrasonic, sputum induction.
- Pulmonary Function Testing.
- CPAP and BiPAP therapy.
- Airway maintenance, oral nasal, and tracheal suctioning.
- Arterial puncture and blood gas analysis, after proper certification.
- Non-invasive monitoring.
- Mechanical ventilation.
- Continuous mechanical ventilation of acute and critically ill patients in ER and Med-Surg. settings.
- Performs assessment of the patient, determining needs related to the frequency and duration of the treatment regime ordered by the physician. Requests re-orders when necessary and communicates with nurse and physician about discrepancies and concerns.
- Initiates and follows through with respiratory protocols as necessary.
- Observes the patient’s response to therapy, evaluates, and records in the patients’ record. Immediately reports adverse reactions following established procedures.
- Charts treatments and procedures accurately in the forms provided. Enters appropriate information into the hospital health information system accurately and timely.
- Makes oxygen rounds as necessary and appropriate, causing the safe and effective use of supplies and equipment.
- Provides instruction to patients, family, staff, and students about therapy and equipment used in respiratory care procedures and protocols; and documents as required.
- Provides complete report to on-coming personnel and takes a complete report from off-going personnel.
- Assists in the orientation of new nursing and respiratory personnel.
- Supports multidisciplinary quality assessment and improvement activities by participating in improving important aspects of care.
- Become proficient in and provide quality control and regular maintenance of the i-STAT blood gas machine as necessary and assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum Associates degree in Respiratory Care.
- Current, valid certification in the state of Georgia as Registered Respiratory Therapist.
- Current, valid AHA Healthcare Provider training (BCLS, PALS and ACLS).